It is currently April 5th, 2020, 6:22 am Advanced search

Is this music?

Music worth listening to.

Is this music?

Postby BestinShowKeith » December 2nd, 2009, 2:23 am

I understand I should probably post this in the shooting fish in a barrel section (if it existed) and I know this is also old, but I just remembered this. Can this even qualify as music? There is some weird drum thing going on behind it but I'm still not sure it should count as an actual song.

User avatar
BestinShowKeith
 
Posts: 831
Joined: March 30th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestInShowBrian » December 2nd, 2009, 3:59 am

Clearly it's music, but what you're probably criticizing is the minimal presence of melody? I'm not sure if that's really a fair criticism with this specific song, since there is concrete melody throughout, even if most of it is found only in the vocals. It's true that the instrumentation behind her vocals supports the melody sparsely at best, but I really like that aspect of it. It would have been much easier to manufacture some of the same old canned R&B tripe that pollutes the rest of her catalog, and I think it took some genuinly creative and talented production skills to attack this from such a minimal perspective. When it comes right down to it I actually enjoy the song only because of the things that seem to bother you about it, but at the risk of negating my whole arguement I'd probably like the instrumental tons more.

Then again, I'm happy listening to hour-long drum solos (and yes, I call that "music" as well).

P.S. Good video (Kanye was right).
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestinShowKeith » December 2nd, 2009, 9:39 am

BestInShowBrian wrote:Clearly it's music, but what you're probably criticizing is the minimal presence of melody? I'm not sure if that's really a fair criticism with this specific song, since there is concrete melody throughout, even if most of it is found only in the vocals. It's true that the instrumentation behind her vocals supports the melody sparsely at best, but I really like that aspect of it. It would have been much easier to manufacture some of the same old canned R&B tripe that pollutes the rest of her catalog, and I think it took some genuinly creative and talented production skills to attack this from such a minimal perspective. When it comes right down to it I actually enjoy the song only because of the things that seem to bother you about it, but at the risk of negating my whole arguement I'd probably like the instrumental tons more.

Then again, I'm happy listening to hour-long drum solos (and yes, I call that "music" as well).

P.S. Good video (Kanye was right).


I'd rather listen to hour long drum solos than this. I've listened to plenty of stuff like that and not had a problem. The thing is I'm not really claiming it isn't music, you have to accept the sarcasm in my post. I just don't think its particularly good music and considering it was immensely popular, I thought I'd point it out. I'm sure there are many things that are popular that are much worse, but this is what got me last night. And my biggest problems with it are far from the music, but more the mindless lyrics, but I wouldn't expect anything more from Beyonce or her production/songwriting team so I figured I'd leave that part alone.

Is the video good?
User avatar
BestinShowKeith
 
Posts: 831
Joined: March 30th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestInShowChris » December 2nd, 2009, 11:48 am

I don't know what the fuck you talking 'bout, Little Kid.
All my single ladies know what's up.
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it, Son.
Recognize!
Image
User avatar
BestInShowChris
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: March 19th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestInShowBrian » December 2nd, 2009, 1:10 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:Is the video good?


Can this even qualify as a video?
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestinShowKeith » December 2nd, 2009, 3:45 pm

BestInShowBrian wrote:
BestinShowKeith wrote:Is the video good?


Can this even qualify as a video?



I mistakenly thought you were really saying the video was good in your first post.
User avatar
BestinShowKeith
 
Posts: 831
Joined: March 30th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Re: Is this music?

Postby BestInShowBrian » December 2nd, 2009, 7:42 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:
BestInShowBrian wrote:
BestinShowKeith wrote:Is the video good?


Can this even qualify as a video?



I mistakenly thought you were really saying the video was good in your first post.

It wasn't a mistake; my first post was genuine. I actually like the video and think it fits the "minimal" aspect of the song perfectly (I was also noting that this was the video Kanye West went all "Ima let you finish" about).

My second post was nonsense, and was just poking fun at you.
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am


Return to Bands/Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron