It is currently September 18th, 2020, 8:12 pm Advanced search

Game Trading?

Gaming discussions, reviews, and news.

Game Trading?

Postby BestInShowBrian » April 5th, 2010, 12:36 am

Would anyone be interested in setting up some sort of I'll-mail-you-this-if-you-mail-me-that game trading thing amongst us HUT-forum-folk? I tend to squeeze every ounce of play out of my videogames, then put them up on a shelf to collect dust for eternity, and it strikes me that some of you could be making better use of them.

Any interest?
Any organizational ideas?
Any concerns about this kind of idea?
BestInShowBrian

Re: Game Trading?

Postby DJNewStyle » April 5th, 2010, 10:07 am

BestInShowBrian wrote:Would anyone be interested in setting up some sort of I'll-mail-you-this-if-you-mail-me-that game trading thing amongst us HUT-forum-folk? I tend to squeeze every ounce of play out of my videogames, then put them up on a shelf to collect dust for eternity, and it strikes me that some of you could be making better use of them.

Any interest?
Any organizational ideas?
Any concerns about this kind of idea?

I wouldn't mind doing it if I knew I'd be getting my stuff back reasonably soon. From the stories I hear on Best In Show, I could lend a game and get it back a few years later :)
DJNewStyle

Postby BestInShowBrian » April 5th, 2010, 10:39 am

DJNewStyle wrote:I wouldn't mind doing it if I knew I'd be getting my stuff back reasonably soon. From the stories I hear on Best In Show, I could lend a game and get it back a few years later :)

That'd certainly be a concern. To minimize that, as well as the cost and pain-in-the-ass of mailing it back to the person when you're done with it, I'm thinking we'd treat it as "trading" instead of "lending" (with exceptions for rare, collectables, or other special cases). Ideally, you'd be happy never seeing your old game that you've already played, as long as you're keeping the game I sent you that you haven't played yet. Is that too pie-in-the-sky? It would probably mean more negotiation up front, since all games aren't necessarily of equivalent worth.
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » May 5th, 2010, 2:33 am

Not exactly the chaotic buzz of interest I was hoping for. That's OK, as I think I might have landed on something else:

http://www.goozex.com

They're like a middleman between individual traders of used games, and set prices for games based on market indicators, converting their values into goozex points. You obtain those points by sending used games to requesters, and spend those point by requesting them from senders, and since the game is the same value whether you are sending or receiveing, it seems like you can finally obtain a much more fair value for your trade-ins (no more losing 90% back to Gamestop's pockets). You dish out $1 in "goozex tokens" (that's apparently how goozex makes money) for every trade you receive (sending games are token-free). Senders have to cover shipping themselves (they say it averages in at $2.50), but clearly don't have to pay shipping fees to receive. Their online algorithms assess fair market values (browsing against some of my current stash reflects very promising values), but also ease the ability to maitain your lists of games you're OK with letting go, as well as the ones you're looking for, and use that system to automatically align prospective trades. And since you barter in points, you are not limited to receive only from those you send to. They also offer some sort of protection to senders and receivers through their member rating system, and have some sort of resolution system to allow them to mediate and resolve disputes between members. They even give you printing labels to print out at home, with tracking numbers attached, which is incorporated into the resolution system and also minimizes your trips to the post office (print the label at home and stick it on the package with appropriate postage I assume and mail it). If you run short on tokens or points, you can buy them through paypal, credit card, etc., but I'm not sure what the cash value of points are (that could be the snag). I think I might have to give this a shot, and test it with a short list with 3 or 4 I'm willing to "lose" before I put my entire collection up for grabs. Has anyone tried this yet?
BestInShowBrian

Return to Video Games